WELS Missions and the Lutheran Women’s Missionary Society (LWMS) are partnering to offer Taste and See, a first-of-its-kind free online mission event, from June 27–July 11.
This new opportunity to learn about and support WELS home and world mission fields came about after two in-person summer events—LWMS’ national convention and WELS Missions’ Taste of Missions—were canceled due to COVID-19 uncertainties.
“Yes, it does make us sad, but we have to be responsible. We didn’t feel it wise to put our members at risk,” says Cynthia Natsis, LWMS president. The LWMS convention, originally scheduled to take place in Athens, Ga., this year, usually draws almost one thousand attendees. She continues, “I pray that this new online event will fill that void of not being able to go and meet with your sisters in Christ.”
Taste and See will begin and end with livestreamed worship services hosted at Wisconsin Lutheran Seminary, Mequon, Wis. Opening worship is scheduled for 11 a.m. CT, June 27, and will be followed by the LWMS flag presentation, a mainstay at its conventions. Closing worship at 6 p.m. CT, July 11, will feature the commissioning of new missionaries.
In between, free consume-at-your-own-pace content will be offered online, including
- mission-themed video devotions;
- recorded missions presentations that had been planned for the live events, including updates from mission administrators;
- short video updates from home and world missionaries;
- live question-and-answer panels;
- cooking tutorials and recipes from missionary families; and
- family-friendly activities such as missions-themed scavenger hunts; coloring pages; and create-a-card opportunities.
Event organizers are encouraging people to participate in challenges and activities on Facebook and the event website. Participants also can submit mission questions for the live panels.
“While we are certainly saddened that the physical events have been canceled, we know that God’s plan is unfolding just as he’s planned,” says Sean Young, director of Missions Operations. “We are looking forward to an even larger audience than we could have hoped for out of a live event!”
Learn more at WELStasteandsee.com.
Volume 107, Number 06
Issue: June 2020
- Pastors share letter and artwork to encourage students - 2021/04/20
- Day 41: Jesus’ Passion – Podcast - 2021/04/04
- Day 41: Jesus’ Passion - 2021/04/04